Thursday, February 5, 2009


My gym membership, which had been frozen for the month of January, unfroze itself yesterday, thus forcing me to make use of my $34.95 a month fee and use the facilities. I had mixed feelings about this after I saw the charge on my online banking statement. Part of me was irritated-- why would I want to work out? I didn't unfreeze the membership. They didn't even contact me! But then another part of me was secretly, somehow, happy about it. I've been need to work out, to stretch my rusty muscles and move my lazy limbs. I've been spending so much time stationary, writing and reading, two activities that do not lend themselves very well to physical activity. So I went, and I worked out my arms until the muscles burned and then I used the elliptical machine until my cheeks felt flushed and I could feel the endorphins.

But today... I just can't go. I can't bring myself to change out of my pajamas right now. I don't have it in me to go outside... because it's TEN degrees out there. I don't care how much a gym membership costs, how badly my butt could use some squats and a run on the treadmill, how good it feels to move. I WILL NOT GO OUTSIDE WHEN IT'S THIS COLD. I refuse. And when I do venture out later today, I'll be wearing my long underwear, two pairs of socks, and possibly two coats. I'm not kidding. I can't deal with the cold.

I need to be warm. I love my bed. I have nothing against the days in July that practically sizzle, the air heavy and thick with humidity. No, I'd take a million days like that over one day like this. I can handle heat. I don't mind sweating, or when my legs stick to plastic and leather seats, or being so hot I can hardly breathe. I enjoy that. I embrace the heat. I would rather suffocate on the hottest summer day than freeze on a cold one.

That's all I have to say about that. I feel very strongly about this issue. I need to move to Southern California... what the heck am I doing in New England?

2 comments:

  1. I’ve been out of action in terms of gym routine for a few years now due to ill health. But this year – I’m determined. I’ve started to go out 3x a week in a gentle jog around where I live. In England (UK) the weather has been absolutely horrendous... but the last couple of nights, I’ve gone out in spite of the sleet and snow. I’m determined not to be a fair weather ‘jogger’ LOL. Anyway, cut yourself some slack... you’ll get to the gym when you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - to be honest I am a bit of a cold freak - Scandinavian genes I think. Can't stand the heat. I get really annoyed if it gets to hot. Altho I do love the photo!

    ReplyDelete