Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another attempt

I always make blogs, then I forget about them for a while, and then the urge to blog comes over me months later and I make a new one. I have that problem a lot, I think-- I get an idea, and the idea excites me, so I act on it immediately, and then after a little while, the idea simmers and cools and pretty soon it's not as thrilling as it was at first.

That's so depressing, isn't it?

That's why I'm giving this another shot. I like journaling, but it's such a private, quiet act. Blogging is more public. Granted, I could be the only one who ever reads this thing, but just the act of putting my words into a public forum of some sort is interesting. I also like the immediacy of typing. When I write by hand, the words take longer to form, the ideas move slower, everything is physical. But typing is instant: the words appear as I think them, and my brain doesn't have to slow down to wait.

I guess I like instant gratification... that's sort of the vibe I'm getting from this blog.

Today the sun is out finally. I didn't leave the house yesterday because it was snowing. That's one of the perks of being unemployed: when the weather sucks, you don't have to leave the house if you don't want to. I did my craft annotations for my first writing submission and thought about writing quite a bit, but couldn't actually do it. I think this blog will help with that, too. Sometimes I just need to type for a little while to get the ideas moving. It's not about having an entire story worked out in your head before you start, it's about just starting. You just write. Just go. That's what I need to do.

One of my brothers recently moved into his own place, but he left a lot of his junk here. One thing he left was a bag of his old Stop and Shop work shirts. My other brother just came into my room and said he wanted to throw on one of the shirts, walk into S&S, grab some boxes, and walk out to see if anyone said anything to him. That made me laugh. He would do that, too. And it would be hysterical.

Alright... the driveway is calling me. I'm going to shovel and think, and hopefully come back in and write. Or go to the gym, since my stupid gym unfroze my membership today and charged my for the month of February. Guess that means I'm getting my fat butt back in shape now. Woo.

No comments:

Post a Comment